graphics & Hugs

Johan Nordlander nordland@cse.ogi.edu
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:07:41 -0700

>> What version of Hugs should I be using in order to use the
>> graphics with
>> Paul Hudak's book SOE?
>
> How timely! I have a similar question...
>
> My functional programming course uses Hugs (of course!), and
> last time it ran, last September, I had some nice examples
> using Hudak's SOE resources. Now I have to reinstall Hugs in
> our Win98 lab, so that I can use the same examples this time
> around (in three weeks' time).
>
> It appears that the latest version (Feb 2001 Hugs98) doesn't
> work with the win32 library. Sadly, there is no link at
> haskell.org/hugs pointing to the earlier version of Hugs98
> that I must have used last time. Snooping around in the
> directory containing the latest version reveals a plethora
> of older versions, but no road-map. Will one of these give
> me the version prevailing last September? Or for that
> matter, any version that will run the SOE examples?
>
> Waiting in hope,
> Jeremy

Hi all,

The status of Hugs w.r.t. the Hugs Graphic Library is that the
compatibility problems have been fixed, but new releases of Hugs
and the HGL will still have to wait at least a few weeks.  As an
interim solution, I've put links to the February 2000
distribution* on the Hugs web page.  There is also a link to a
Win32 archive at the same location that contains precompiled
Windows executables including the HGL and Win32 libraries.  This
should hopefully address the needs of most class instructors.

Please see
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/PacSoft/projects/Hugs/pages/downloading.htm
for further information.

All the best,
Johan

(*) The source package actually contains a more recent fix as
well, which avoids a compilation error on recent Linux systems.