[HOpenGL] Maintaining the OpenAL and ALUT packages

Andrew Miller andrew at amxl.com
Thu Sep 29 06:38:00 CEST 2011

On 29/09/11 13:38, Jason Dagit wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Andrew Miller<andrew at amxl.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I haven't been able to get in touch with Sven Panne, who is also the
>> maintainer of the OpenAL and alut packages.
>
> Yes, he seems to be missing.
>
>> Given the conceptual similarity between OpenAL and ALUT, and the fact there
>> is no specific Haskell audio community, would anyone object if I was to
>> treat this list as the maintainer of those packages (or alternatively, can
>> anyone suggest any other lists that would better serve as maintainer)?
>
> My only objection is that it seems weird to put something graphics
> related as the maintainer of something audio related.  Given the
> history and circumstances that's an admittedly weak objection.
>
> Do you have any interest in being the maintainer of these libraries?
> Do you plan to actively work on them?  For me, those two questions are
> more important.  Given the lack of response to your initial inquiry, I
> suspect no one here is planning to actively maintain these libraries
> even if the maintainer field is set to this list.
>
> Have you asked around (say on Haskell-Cafe) to see if anyone with
> experience is interested in being the maintainer?

Aside from asking on #haskell (on freenode) and trying this list I
haven't looked that hard for a maintainer.

I don't have time to guarantee I can maintain it long term.

If there is no one willing to maintain it anywhere, I guess the most
correct thing to do might be to upload it with no maintainer field, and
if a willing maintainer comes along in the future, then they can make
themselves maintainer.

Best wishes,
Andrew