[HOpenGL] Hello HOpenGL

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:32:20 CEST 2011

On May 19, 2011 5:02 AM, "Balazs Komuves" <bkomuves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see you plan a complete rewrite, and removing the deprecated
functionality.
> In this case I suggest to make a new package instead of a new version of
the old
> OpenGL package, since it will actually be a very different package,
presumably
> with different APIs, etc (and I don't think Sven actually agreed to
replace it, since
> we cannot seem to reach him).

I have to keep my reply short because I'm traveling, but two comments.

Sven is no longer the maintainer, so we don't have to think too hard about
what he would do. We can make all the necessary decisions ourselves.

By following the hackage package version policy, we should be free to make
major modifications to the existing API. If the gsoc work becomes the new
version the opengl library, then it will be version 3.x or later. You should
be able to author your package dependencies accordingly. We should be sure
to release any bug fixes that we can for the current version as we find
them.

Basically, lets free ourselves to make changes, and them figure out how to
do so in a polite way.

That is my opinion anyway :)

Your feedback is welcome of course.

> Furthermore, "deprecated" (2.0) functionality will be most probably
supported indefinitely
> in the future. At least NVidia (~half of the market) stated that they will
fully support it; and
> there is a HUGE amount of existing software out there depending on the
deprecated OpenGL
> functionality, which makes it economically irrational not to support it.
>
> Another reason is that only new hardware supports OpenGL 3.0. For example
I own
> two computers, a laptop and a desktop, and neither hardware support OpenGL
3.0
> (it is actually not possible to buy a video card compatible with my
motherboard which
> supports 3.0...)
>
> Lastly, for a new user and also for quick hacks, the glBegin/glEnd route
is much easier.

> Apart from this, since I care a lot about Haskell OpenGL support, I
volunteer to
> review your work (read: give you my subjective but detailed opinion and
suggestions).
> You can reach me at this email address if you are interested in discussing
stuff.

> Balazs
>
> ps. I have a low dimensional linear algebra library which should have all
the functionality
> (and some more) needed to do graphics with OpenGL even in the
post-3.0-era:

> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vect
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vect-opengl
> http://code.haskell.org/~bkomuves/projects/vect/
> (the development branch has some quaternions, too)
>
> I'm open to suggestions regarding the organization and API of this
library.

> 2011/5/19 Alexander Göransson <alexander.goransson at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm the person who will be working on the libraries this summer. I've
been very busy with school lately (and still am), but I've written a blog
post with some thoughts on the project: