[HOpenGL] Hello HOpenGL

Balazs Komuves bkomuves at gmail.com
Thu May 19 11:02:19 CEST 2011

Hi,

I see you plan a complete rewrite, and removing the deprecated
functionality.
In this case I suggest to make a new package instead of a new version of the
old
OpenGL package, since it will actually be a very different package,
presumably
with different APIs, etc (and I don't think Sven actually agreed to replace
it, since
we cannot seem to reach him).

Furthermore, "deprecated" (2.0) functionality will be most probably
supported indefinitely
in the future. At least NVidia (~half of the market) stated that they will
fully support it; and
there is a HUGE amount of existing software out there depending on the
deprecated OpenGL
functionality, which makes it economically irrational not to support it.

Another reason is that only new hardware supports OpenGL 3.0. For example I
own
two computers, a laptop and a desktop, and neither hardware support OpenGL
3.0
(it is actually not possible to buy a video card compatible with my
motherboard which
supports 3.0...)

Lastly, for a new user and also for quick hacks, the glBegin/glEnd route is
much easier.

Apart from this, since I care a lot about Haskell OpenGL support, I
volunteer to
review your work (read: give you my subjective but detailed opinion and
suggestions).
You can reach me at this email address if you are interested in discussing
stuff.

Balazs

ps. I have a low dimensional linear algebra library which should have all
the functionality
(and some more) needed to do graphics with OpenGL even in the post-3.0-era:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vect
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vect-opengl
http://code.haskell.org/~bkomuves/projects/vect/
(the development branch has some quaternions, too)

I'm open to suggestions regarding the organization and API of this library.