[HOpenGL] hello

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:59:21 EDT 2009

This is a list about Haskell and OpenGL so I say your questions are
just fine for this list ;-) Course, if anybody disagrees well I'll be
interested in hearing why.

I don't know of any complete guides for Haskell+OpenGL specifically.
The standard OpenGL bindings support a programming model that doesn't
deviate too much from programming OpenGL in a procedural language. So
guides that apply to C/C++ can be translated to Haskell without too
much effort. There are high level APIs for doing graphics in Haskell
which support more functional programming models. I have no experience
with those. Sounds like you are looking for the NeHe tutorials
implemented in Haskell. (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) Which I don't think
has been done yet. Though that would be an interesting project for our
group to attack.

How about you start describing the graphical requirements for the game
to the list and we can start some discussion on how best to satisfy
those requirements using Haskell? What kind of graphical effects are
you hoping to produce? In what way should the graphics be dynamic? In
what way are they static? For instance, typically a MMO has a static
environment: The static arrangement of planets in Eve Online; The
static terrain and buildings of World of Warcraft.

Cheers,
Corey O'Connor