[HOpenGL] Re: Fwd: OpenGLRaw

David Duke djd at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Aug 16 12:50:10 EDT 2009

Sven Panne wrote:
>> Just another idea from a different email: Perhaps "-framework OpenGL" is
>> missing for Mac OS X? It would be nice to hear what the right fix is, I
>> don't have access to any Macs...
>>

> Hmmm, no replies yet... So I'd like to The OpenGLRaw.cabal obviously needs
> some tweaks on Mac OS X, but it is not clear for me what to do. Should
>
>    a) the "extra-libraries: GL" line be removed for the "os(darwin)" case?
>
>    b) a "frameworks: OpenGL" line be added?
>
> What is the right way to fix things? a) alone? b) alone? Or both a) and b)?
> Feedback would be highly appreciated, because I don't have access to Macs.

Sven,

For what it is worth, I built OpenGLRaw on my Mac (OSX 10.5.8) by simply
removing the "extra-libraries: GL" line from the Cabal file - it was not
necessary to add anything else.

If you leave the extra-libraries directive in the Cabal file, you can
still build, if you must then provide explicit paths to the include and
lib dirs, i.e.:

runhaskell Setup.hs configure
--extra-include-dirs=/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/
--extra-lib-dirs=/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries

I tried adding "frameworks: OpenGL" to the Cabal file, but this made no
difference, the configure step still complained about missing GL
libraries.   This surprised me, in that I expected cabal to work with
the OSX framework mechanism.  But I'm not an expert on either Mac
frameworks or cabal - the above are simply what I've used and observed.

regards,
David

Dr. David Duke                      E: djd at comp.leeds.ac.uk
School of Computing                 W: www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/djd/
University of Leeds                 T: +44 113 3436800
Leeds, LS2 9JT, U.K.