[HOpenGL] WinXP, ghc-6.0.1, HOpenGL-1.05 .. problems

C.Reinke C.Reinke at kent.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 20:27:42 EST 2003

> >[...] - ghc-6.0.1 seems to lack GL/glut.h? copied that in..
>I've already complained about that (=> Sigbjorn).

ah well, fewer and fewer files missing with each round;-)

> > - tons of warnings (most but not all about deprecation)
>These are all harmless and are caused by two things:
>    * The FFI syntax has changed a bit nowadays.
>    * Haskell's FFI has no way to state the constness of arguments. This
>      is a pity and even a 80% solution would be better than nothing.

okay (there's also one about missing ghci lib when processing
.conf; is that an intentional limitation?).

>Comment from Makefile.mk:
>    # SUP: One of my greatest and most evil hacks...
>:-} What happens when you comment out the evil line? Does "make depend"
>still work then?

well, one can do better than that (unless you really love this hack
so much:): replace it with a call to "ghc --print-libdir" .. wasn't
it you who asked Simon M for that feature several ghc-versions ago?-)

> >  - no Graphics.UI.GLUT in sight after install?
>*aaargl* I forgot to include a patch for this in 1.05, see:

same patch as for 1.04, then? okay, will try tomorrow.

btw, is there any reason to preserve the unpatched releases?

I'd much prefer to have HOpenGL-1.05-pl1 (with patch applied and
missing include file included), etc. on that page, keeping the
separate patches only for early adopters. With the current system,
occasional HOpenGL visitors download the unpatched release and fail,
or start patching but forget to copy includes, and so on. The result
is that I often hear people telling me that HOpenGL doesn't work for
them (which just means they had too many problems and gave up
instead of asking for help on this list).

> > [...] Are there any plans for when the cvs-version will take over?
>Initially I hoped that the library infrastructure project would be
>..
>until the next Hugs and GHC releases are out.

Thanks, I just wanted to check when I should prepare for the
jump. Will stick with the ready-made package for now.

> > And do I have a chance of building the cvs-version of HOpenGL without
> > building any of the other stuff in fptools (ie. can I just use
> > ghc-6.0.1 binary release to build it)?
>Alas, no, at least not easily.

Sigh.. that has always been my biggest gripe with fptools:
too monolithic.

Thanks,
Claus