[HOpenGL] WinXP, ghc-6.0.1, HOpenGL-1.05 .. problems

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Nov 13 18:20:12 EST 2003

Claus Reinke wrote:

 >[...] - ghc-6.0.1 seems to lack GL/glut.h? copied that in..

I've already complained about that (=> Sigbjorn).

 > - tons of warnings (most but not all about deprecation)

These are all harmless and are caused by two things:

    * The FFI syntax has changed a bit nowadays.

    * Haskell's FFI has no way to state the constness of arguments. This
      is a pity and even a 80% solution would be better than nothing.

 >  - no errors stopping configure/make depend/make/make install..
 >
 >    there seem to be hidden errors, though, starting in
 >    make depend right after the green-card calls:
 >
 >     cut: /cygdrive/c/ghc/ghc-6.0.1/bin/ghc: No such file or directory
 >
 >   (`which ghc` on cygwin delivers the filename without .exe,
 >    but even if I add the suffix for cut, and try it out on the
 >    commandline, the filter doesn't find anything; I've got a
 >    feeling of deja vu on this one, btw..)

Comment from Makefile.mk:

    # SUP: One of my greatest and most evil hacks...

:-} What happens when you comment out the evil line? Does "make depend"
still work then?

 >  - no Graphics.UI.GLUT in sight after install?

*aaargl* I forgot to include a patch for this in 1.05, see:

    http://haskell.org/pipermail/hopengl/2003-May/000389.html
    http://haskell.org/HOpenGL/releases/install.patch

 > [...] Are there any plans for when the cvs-version will take over?

Initially I hoped that the library infrastructure project would be
usable "soon", but now I think that as an intermediate measure a
home-grown solution will be needed. Alastair did similar things for
his subprojects, BTW. To make things easy, some restructuring of the
autoconf stuff in fptools will be necessary, but I'd prefer to wait
until the next Hugs and GHC releases are out.

 > And do I have a chance of building the cvs-version of HOpenGL without
 > building any of the other stuff in fptools (ie. can I just use
 > ghc-6.0.1 binary release to build it)?

Alas, no, at least not easily. You could try to get the HEAD of fptools,
do the usual autoreconf + configure, and then issue "make depend && make"
in the OpenGL and GLUT subdirectories. The hard part will be getting the
make variables right for the Haskell compiler to use, the installation
directories, etc. I haven't tried it yet, but somehow this should work.

Cheers,
    S.