[HOpenGL] Re: GLUT documentation

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:16:08 +0100

Ross Paterson wrote:
> According to fptools/libraries/GLUT/Graphics/UI/GLUT.hs, the documentation
> of the GLUT package is derived from a document with the notice
>
> > Copyright (c) 1994, 1995, 1996 by Mark J. Kilgard, Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> > No part of this documentation may be reproduced, in any form or by any
> > means, without permission in writing from the original author.
>
> Do you have this permission, and if so what are its limits?

No, I haven't been able yet to contact Mark Kilgard in any way. I've
tried several times, but never received an answer, neither positive
nor negative. I've sent mails directly to Mark's current company, NVIDIA,
and tried to contact him via 'Mr. OpenGL' himself, John Leech at SGI,
without avail.

Other projects (Mesa, several other OpenGL bindings, ...) simply use
the documentation rather unchanged, but obviously don't care about
legal issues. The HOpenGL-GLUT docs are *not* simply a cut-n-paste job,
the API is quite different from the C API, so I finally got a bit fed up
with this legal issue...   >:-(

I'm a little bit clueless about how to proceed. Perhaps I should nuke
the above passage from the documentation and replace it with credits
to Mark.

Has anybody contact to the Mesa group? Perhaps they can arrange what is
needed to keep the lawyers calm...

Cheers,
   S.