[HOpenGL] Re: Starting it all over again

Glynn Clements glynn.clements@virgin.net
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 04:13:21 +0000

Ronald Legere wrote:

> Whoops, one of posters mentioned Cygwin/X. Are we
> talking about Cygwin/X?

Probably not, but I mentioned it for completeness.

> I thought we were talking about 'normal' Cygwin and Hopengl.

'normal' is a subjective term, particularly when it comes to Cygwin.
The "Cygwin environment" is a hybrid of Unix and Windows. Both provide
OpenGL; which one is "normal"?

> Is hopengl supposed
> to work under Cygwin/X? I never tried it.

Me neither. Although, it works under Unix/X11, so it isn't
inconceivable that Cygwin/X11 might work.

Just to clarify: there are two distinct options for OpenGL with
Cygwin: Win32 and X11.

For the Win32 version, you need both the "opengl" and "w32api"
packages, and the linker has to actually look in /usr/lib/w32api
(which it may not do if it thinks that you're trying to build a "Unix"
program).

For the X11 version, you need the XFree86 port, and you would need to
build GLUT yourself. FWIW, I don't know about HOpenGL specifically,
but the XFree86 port *does* support OpenGL.

In any case, my guess is that the Win32 version is desired, and that
the problem is either lack of the w32api package, or non-use thereof
by the linker. Using "-mno-cygwin" might work, as might
"-L/usr/lib/w32api".

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>