[HOpenGL] problems compiling hopengl

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:16:41 +0100

[ Redirected to the list again... ]

chris wrote:
> [...] running nm on /usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGL.so and
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.14 both return
>
> 0002d2fc T glBlendEquationEXT
>
> i dont know if that means anything though.

Well, that means that your Mesa version implements this function as an
extension, although it should be in the OpenGL 1.2 core. You can simply
use that instead of the plain glBlendEquation.

> also i was wondering if using nm on libGL.so is a good way to see if
> glBlendEquation is present.

Not really.

> i was also thinking of creating a tiny program that made a call to
> glBlendEquation and determining from the success or failure of its
> compilation whether glBlendEquation was present. is this a good way
> to do it?

Yes, that's the standard way of doing it and autoconf already has macros
for that purpose. The only tricky part is getting the include paths and
linker flags right for the test, so you should do this *after* the
detection of the OpenGL flags already in configure.in.

> [...] a few examples dont seem to work right. Feedback draws a corner
> and a dot and then gives this
>
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x33)!
>
> they seem to correspond to window manager events. ie if i click on
> another window and then click on the feedback window to bring it back to
> the top it will print the same message with a different hex number.
> switching desktops will also do this as does shading and then unshading
> the feedback window.

Hmmm, I've never seen this before. Feedback should draw what you described
and then print a bunch of lines "GL_FOO_BAR_TOKEN" plus some numbers. Does
anybody out there have a clue?

> Wrap gives the message created glx context but then nothing happens

Huh? What printed that message?

> Trim informs me that trimming hasnt been implemented yet. it displays
> some kind of round tile thing.

That's because your Mesa version is not feature-complete. A "full"
OpenGL implementation would draw something like folded shirt.

> and several of the examples could use better ui :) it took me awhile to
> figure out how to operate robot, the planet one, and the torus.

"Use the source, Luke!" :-)

> anyway since it seems to generally work i will be writing a portfile for
> it on freebsd (hopefully oliver braun will help me ensure that it is
> done right :)

Fine.

Cheers,
   S.