[HOpenGL] 2 simple questions...

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:00:37 +0100

Andre W B Furtado wrote:
> [...] I think the team would like to write the engine in C/C++. If it
> is not possible to do this AND call HOpenGL routines [...]

Hmmm, if the engine should be written in C/C++, I can't see a reason to
use HOpenGL at all: Just use the ubiquitous C binding for OpenGL! The
only further advice I can give then is to avoid hammering OpenGL into
something OO, just use it imperatively within C++. It's a state machine
of which you have only one instance of, so the potential for OO stuff
is quite limited. The only thing I can imagine is using C++'s ad-hoc
overloading to reduce the plethora of calls a bit. Note that I'm not
against OO at all (after all, I'm using Java/C++ at work), but not
everything fits nicely into a single paradigm.

Cheers,
   S.