[HOpenGL] HOpenGL-1.01 Feedback

Andre W B Furtado awfurtado@uol.com.br
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:06:25 -0200

Ok, here is my installing feedback about the "HOpenGL-1.01 compatibility
release pack for GHC-5.02":

** 1 **

Besides the following thing appears in the "configure" step:

checking for GL/glut.h... yes

and besides the glut.h directory IS in my cygwin.bat PATH, I got a very
boring error during the "make" step:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ghc-476717.hc:4: GL/glut.h: No such file or directory

The solution I used was replacing all "-#include <GL/glut.h>" by the
absolute path of glut.h (in my case, "-#include <c:/usr/include/GL/glut.h>")
in the HOpenGL files. That worked fine, but why did it happen?

** 2 **

During the "make" step, I got a LOT of warnings like:

* Warning: Defined but not used: [...]
* C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ghc-432219.hc:71: warning: assignment discards qualifiers
from pointer target type
* Warning: Module `GL_VertexSpec' is imported, but nothing from it is used

But I guess this happens because this is a "compatibility release", am I
right?

** 3 **

After all the compilation process, when I tryied to run "hello.exe", I got
the following messages in cygwin:

opengl.dll not found (this appeared in a pop-up window)
BASH.EXE: ./hello: Permission denied (in the cygwin shell)

Trying to run the same example in the Windows Explorer, I got:

glut.dll not found (pop-up window)

I remember I needed to copy glut.dll to my "redboot_HS" in HOpenGL-1.00, so
I did this. Then (still in Windows Explorer) I got:

opengl.dll not found (pop-up window)

I have the file opengl32.dll, but I needed to search opengl.dll in the web.
I was surprised by this, because the opengl.org tech support
(www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/mswindows.htm) says that:

"Unless there's an absolutely compelling reason ... I really would suggest
using opengl32.dll, and letting the old opengl.dll thing die. opengl.dll
comes from the now totally unsupported OpenGL for Windows release of OpenGL
for Microsoft Windows by SGI.  We stopped supporting that release over two
years -- like no one ever touches the code."

Ok, I found opengl.dll in
http://tigger.uic.edu/~jayvee/opengl/opengldlls.zip and placed it in the
redbook_HS folder. Unfortunately, the examples did not run... a very weird
window was opened and the expected program didn't appear. I restarted my
computer then and, when I tryied to run the examples again, I got a illegal
operation (HELLO caused a invalid page fault in module WINMM.DLL in
0167:bfdf6633)

***

I remember I had this problem no.3 in HOpenGL-1.00 too, but I don't remember
how I solved it... It seems to me it's related with opengl.dll/opengl32.dll.
Suggestions?

-- Andre