[HF-discuss] [Haskell-cafe] Do something about Cabal? Not yet!

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Wed Dec 23 22:06:09 UTC 2020

I agree with Richard, but would like to caution that doing something
about our build tools is, while very important, also very risky, if
history is to serve as a lesson. I think I would prefer to see the
Haskell Foundation "warm up" on some easier battles to build consensus
and gain momentum before wading into these treacherous waters.

John

On 12/10/20 2:50 PM, Richard Eisenberg via hf-discuss wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> (Side note: I was informed on another mailing list that I may have
>> some setting pertaining to forcing some kind of read receipt which is
>> considered impolite on mailing lists, if this is still the case I
>> apologize and I'm trying to determine what even is the precise issue
>> or setting controlling it, at least on K-9 Mail and Neomutt)
>>
>> On December 10, 2020 12:23:42 p.m. GMT+01:00, Ignat Insarov
>> <kindaro at gmail.com <mailto:kindaro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> # Do something about Cabal?
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Cabal is the second most used tool in Haskell after GHC. It has many
>>> problems. It may be noticed that there is one and a half developers
>>> working on
>>> it. This is clearly not enough to address these problems. I propose
>>> that this is
>>> a good place to invest in.
>>>
>>> ### Problems I have in mind:
>>>
>>> * Poor communication, lack of open source development process.
>>>
>>> The whole Cabal–Stack schism appears to be an outcome of poor
>>> communication. One of the leading developers of Cabal is even banned
>>> from
>>> participation somewhere in Stack circles.[1] Personally, I reported
>>> several
>>> issues to Cabal and every single time it resulted in sadness. Observe a
>>> vicious circle: core developers are overworked ⇒ they are being
>>> unfriendly ⇒
>>> there are fewer contributors ⇒ core developers are overworked.
>>>
>>> I have no hard evidence but it appears that presently, more people
>>> that strive
>>> to improve the Haskell build experience are outside the Cabal cabal
>>> than are
>>> inside.
>>>
>>> * User experience is an afterthought.
>>>
>>> Cabal's user experience is horrifying. A collection of complaints is
>>> being
>>> compiled elsewhere.[2] There are also bugs being opened to Cabal
>>> because of
>>> this, requiring triage and therefore wasting the precious time of
>>> the few
>>> overworked developers. Stack is much more friendly — this shows by
>>> example
>>> that the user experience problem is not inherent and may be solved.
>>>
>>> It is ordinary to receive output like this:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> % cabal run example-executable
>>> Warning: The package list for 'hackage.haskell.org
>>> <http://hackage.haskell.org>' is 84 days old.
>>> Run 'cabal update' to get the latest list of available packages.
>>> Resolving dependencies...
>>> cabal: Could not resolve dependencies:
>>> [__0] trying: example-0.1.0.6 (user goal)
>>> [__1] next goal: opaleye (dependency of example)
>>> [__1] rejecting: opaleye-0.7.1.0, opaleye-0.7.0.0 (constraint from
>>> project
>>> config TODO requires ==0.6.7006.1)
>>> [__1] rejecting: opaleye-0.6.7006.1 (conflict: example => opaleye^>=0.7)
>>> [__1] skipping: opaleye-0.6.7006.0, opaleye-0.6.7005.0,
>>> opaleye-0.6.7004.1, opaleye-0.6.7004.0, opaleye-0.6.7003.1,
>>> opaleye-0.6.7003.0, opaleye-0.6.1.0, opaleye-0.6.0.0, opaleye-0.5.4.0,
>>> opaleye-0.5.3.1, opaleye-0.5.3.0, opaleye-0.5.2.2, opaleye-0.5.2.0,
>>> opaleye-0.5.1.1, opaleye-0.5.1.0, opaleye-0.5.0.0, opaleye-0.4.2.0,
>>> opaleye-0.4.1.0, opaleye-0.4.0.0, opaleye-0.3.1.2, opaleye-0.3.1,
>>> opaleye-0.3,
>>> opaleye-0.2, opaleye-0.6.7002.0, opaleye-0.6.7001.0, opaleye-0.6.7000.0,