[Hat] Re: Packages & hat-trans output

Michael McDermott mcdermott.michaelj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 16:36:05 EDT 2006

I have been working on a Gentoo ebuild for Hat and ran across a few issues.
First, it is the cabal package (not hat-package.conf) that needs to be piped
to ghc-pgk register - to register the package (which is easy enough to work
around). Futhermore, the file is somewhat incomplete.  For example, if the
import-dirs field is not added, then GHC is unable to find Hat's classes.

Secondly, once I was able to get past that issue, the output from hat-trans
fails to compile. Here is a sample of the output:

ghc     -package hat  -o Insert Hat/Insert.o
Hat/Insert.o: In function `r2iZ_info':
: undefined reference to `HatziHat_mkModule_closure'
Hat/Insert.o: In function `HatziInsert_asort_info':
: undefined reference to `HatziHat_mkVariable_closure'
Hat/Insert.o: In function `HatziInsert_ainsert_info':

I am presuming that HatziInsert_ainsert_info, etc. are functions in
libraries or headers that should be linked to the program, but, if so, where
are they? Since I don't know, it has been hard to add this to the Cabal
package or GHC's config files.  The output was virtually the same for both
programs I tried to run hat on. The first was Insert.hs, the example on the
tutorial page and the second was a basic hello world:

module Main where

main = do putStrLn "Hello, world"

Both programs appear to work 100% when run through GHC vanilla.  If you
could give me some insight into these errors, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Michael McDermott