[Hat] Hat and Windows

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 12:22:32 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've tried to get Hat compiling on Windows today, and have had some
success. I found the following problems and fixes:

1) hat-trans cannot be compiled with ghc -cpp (it breaks on the string
gaps), and cpphs can't be used as pgmP as it is. I have submitted a
patch for cpphs to make this possible. With this change, hat-trans
builds fine for Windows.

2) When running hat-trans, its remarkably painful on Windows, and I
got frequent unexplained crashes, but there are a few patches
required:

Windows does not have ntohl, so I added a specific one for Windows.

SIGQUIT does not exist on Windows, I just commented out this line.

fopen(file,"w") should be fopen(file,"wb") to use Binary mode under Windows.

With these patches, the remaining issues are build issues - I am
intending to write a very hacky hat-make which sorts these out,
possibly in a Windows specific way, to make it a single hat-make Main
command to generate a hat binary. I did not build the hat translated
libraries under Windows, I took the Linux versions.

With these changes I am able to generate a simple hat file that can be
processed by the Linux hat tools properly.

Thanks

Neil