[Haskell] AVailable PhD position in parallel functional programming languages

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Wed Oct 12 06:45:22 UTC 2022

The section for Programming Languages and the Theory of Computation
(PLTC) at the Department of Computer Science invites applicants for a
PhD fellowship in the implementation and optimisation of data-parallel
functional programming languages.  More information:
https://employment.ku.dk/phd/?show=157471

Start date is (expected to be) January 2023 or as soon as possible
thereafter.  Note that the application deadline is quite soon (20th of
October).

Modern massively parallel processors such as GPUs are highly efficient,
but notoriously difficult and awkward to program for humans, particulary
for irregular problems or those with nested structure.  At DIKU, we are
a small team that researches programming and compilation techniques for
making high-performance parallel programming more accessible to
non-expert programmers.  We conduct applied research with a focus on
actual real-world performance on mainstream hardware, and we use the
functional array language Futhark and its implementation as our main
experimental vessel.  The precise research problems to be investigated
by the PhD candidate depends on the interests of the candidate, but we
are particularly interested in problems such as:

 * How to efficiently map fully or partially irregular nested
   parallelism to hardware, while still taking advantage of locality.

 * The construction of profiling tools that can precisely measure the
   performance of heavily compiler-transformed code and connect it to
   the original program, allowing the programmer to understand the
   high-level performance of their program.

 * Optimising data layout based on how it is accessed by the program;
   possibly also taking distributed execution or NUMA behaviour into
   account.

For more information, feel free to contact Troels Henriksen
(athas at diku.dk).