[Haskell] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.1 released

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 08:34:39 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

Here's an addendum to the announcment as it ommitted an important detail:

GHC 8.6.1 is only guaranteed to work properly with tooling which uses
lib:Cabal version 2.4.0.1 or later.

As such, GHC 8.6.1 works best with ​`cabal-install` 2.4.0.0 or later;
please upgrade to `cabal-install` 2.4.0.0 if you haven't already.

Note that cabal-install 2.4 supports all GHC versions back till GHC
7.0.4 and we also strongly recommend to use the latest available stable
release of `cabal` even with older GHC releases as bugfixes and
improvements aren't always backported to older Cabal releases as well as
to be able to benefit from recently added CABAL format features[8] (or
be able to access package releases on Hackage[9] which rely on those
features) which require recent enough versions of Cabal as well.

Note that binaries aren't available on cabal's download page[1] yet.

If you're on Ubuntu or Debian, you can get a compiled cabal-install 2.4
`.deb` package via Apt from

- https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

or

- http://downloads.haskell.org/debian/

respectively.

Binary versions for macOS and Windows are also expected to become
available via [2] and [3] soon (and also at [1]).

In the meantime, if you already have GHC 7.10 or later (together with a
compatible `cabal` executable) installed, you can easily install cabal
2.4 yourself from Hackage[9] by invoking

    cabal install cabal-install-2.4.0.0

and making sure that the resulting `cabal` executable is accessible via
your $PATH; you can check with `cabal --version` which should emit
something along the lines of

    $ cabal --version
    cabal-install version 2.4.0.0
    compiled using version 2.4.0.1 of the Cabal library

Finally, the Haskell Platform[4] release for GHC 8.6.1 should be
available soon as well which provides yet another recommended "standard
way to get GHC and related tools"[5] in a uniform way across multiple
operating systems. See [4] and [5] for more details about the standard
Haskell Platform distribution.

 [1]: https://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

 [2]: https://haskell.futurice.com/

 [3]: https://hub.zhox.com/posts/chocolatey-introduction/