[Haskell] ANN: Hackage Account Registration Changes

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Thu Feb 22 23:27:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 05:54:33PM -0500, Gershom B wrote:
> In the meantime, as a short term measure, we have changed new account
> registration policies on hackage.
>
> Users can still register as before, but new users do _not_ have upload
> rights until they explicitly request them and are granted them by a
> human being.
>
> (This is actually how we had configured hackage to work on initial
> deployment -- we loosened things up for some years as the extra step
> seemed unnecessary).

Does this mean that before the todays change, anyone (or anything)
could register and upload packages without any review and without
any acknowledgement for trustfulness by another person? Does it
maen that one can't trust *any* package on hackage.haskell.org at
least a little bit (based on trust between acknowledging persons
and reputation) without reviewing the package's source code?

Ciao,
	Kili