[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Fri Jan 22 17:00:51 UTC 2016

Dear Gentle Reader,

Many, many beautiful gems in the Haskell Weekly News archives are worth a
second look.

To give you a taste, I reproduce below excerpts from the quotes section of
the Jan 31, 2007 issue -- yes, that's 9 years ago -- under the editorship
of Don Stewart.

Enjoy.

Best, Kim-Ee Yeoh

*Top Picks*

   - Edsko de Vries designs O(1)-amortized and O(1)-worst-case queues
   <http://www.well-typed.com/blog/2016/01/efficient-queues/> using a
   technique different from the standard literature by Chris Okasaki. In
   particular, the O(1)-worst-case queue employs a Progress datatype that
   could be reused to also optimize data structures other than queues. On the
   other hand, Lennart Augustsson on /r/haskell was pleased as a plum until
   he saw the unsafeInterleaveST
   <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/412n6n/new_blog_post_efficient_amortised_and_realtime/>
   required to pull off the Progress technique.

   Elsewhere, Hacker News rates the article highly enough
   <https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10913720> for it to stay on the
   front page for five hours <http://hnrankings.info/10913720/>. However,
   the comments there belie that the advanced Haskell goes swoosh over the
   head of the average HN reader.

   - Philipp Schuster sketches a FRP implementation based on temporal logic
   <http://haskellexists.blogspot.com/2016/01/frp-for-free.html>. Neel
   Krishnaswami explains on /r/haskell why it suffers from space leaks
   <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/40x4wf/frp_for_free/> like
   most other FRP implementations and ways of fixing it.

   - Dan Burton reports that the latest version 0.10 of the json parsing
   package aeson suffers from deal-breaking bugs
   <https://unknownparallel.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/what-to-do-with-aeson-0-10/>.
   Aeson author Bryan O'Sullivan, of an older email-centered generation,
   explains that he has "a life outside of checking github issues" in
the /r/haskell
   discussion
   <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/4101ad/what_to_do_with_aeson010/>.
   In any case, the next stepping 5 of Stackage LTS rolls it back to
   version 0.9
   <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/41gpdk/lts4_with_aeson010_is_being_discontinued_lts5/>
   .

   - A redditor asks, "What's the TypeInType extension planned for the
   upcoming version 8 of GHC?" The short answer is that it's used for
   dependent type programming. Detailed answers can be found in the actual
   /r/haskell Q&A
   <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/4180k3/what_is_typeintype/>.

   - GHC on ARM used to suffer over 100 failures on the testsuite
   <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/11206>. Ben Gamari girds his
   loins and over the last 6 weeks battled against "the villains that plague
   this poor architecture." Result? Nightly builds now compile clean. Go Ben!

*A Blast from the Past (Quotes from #Haskell IRC):*
<http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20070131>

   - *huschi:* Programing in haskell seems a bit frustrating. i'm missing
   searching for errors :(

   - *bakert:* I know all my programs can be reduced to only one tenth the
   size if only I can learn all these crazy functions

*Quote of the Week*

   - Will Jones: The more I write Haskell, the more it feels like Forth.
   Where I'm basically just inventing a language for my problem, then writing
   the program in that instead.

   (Ed. Dear Will: Remember how Dijkstra once said "Always design your
   programs as a member of a whole family of programs, including those that
   are likely to succeed it"? He would have warmly congratulated you on your
   discovery.)

-- Kim-Ee Yeoh