[Haskell] Postdoctoral and PhD positions in LFCS on graph databases, provenance, and programming languages

James Cheney james.cheney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 15:55:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

As a result of recent funding awards, I expect to be able to advertise two
postdoctoral positions and a PhD position at the Laboratory for Foundations
of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh in the near future:

* The first postdoc position will be advertised early in January to start
as soon as possible (in practice, this likely means February 2016 at the
absolute earliest; I'd prefer to have someone by March or April if
possible).

The position will require a mix of research and development skills, to
contribute to the development of a system for processing and analyzing
provenance graph data in order to identify and mitigate advanced persistent
threat attacks.  Preferred programming languages among other project
members include Haskell, Scala and Python.  Experience with graph databases
such as Titan/Cassandra or the Gremlin query language would be a big plus.

I would like to hire someone to work on this project whose research
dovetails well with the development needed for the project.  This could
mean a systems-oriented PL researcher interested in gaining experience with
graph databases, provenance or security, or a researcher in one of these
areas interested in gaining experience with PL.

This position is part of the ADAPT project (A Diagnostics Approach for
Advanced Persistent Threat Detection) funded by the DARPA Transparent
Computing Program.  The other partners in ADAPT are Galois, Inc., Xerox
PARC, and Oregon State University.  The funding is secure until June 2017
and funding after that point is contingent on continuation of the project
by DARPA, until the program ends in June 2019.

* The second postdoc and PhD studentship position will be advertised later
in 2016 for a start date of mid-to-late 2016.  Both will be part of the
ERC-funded project "Skye: A programming language bridging theory and
practice for scientific data curation".

Relevant topics/background include heterogeneous metaprogramming,
language-integrated query, and scientific data management and provenance.

Both positions will have funding for up to 4 years in the period 2016-2021
(pending finalization of the grant agreement).

This message does not constitute a formal advertisement of an employment
opportunity; formal advertisements will follow when the details are
finalized.  Please contact me if interested in any of these opportunities
or with any questions about the projects, and research environment, and
preferably including a CV and summary of your research interests and how
they relate to the position(s) you are interested in.
--James