[Haskell] 8 Funded PhD Positions at St Andrews

Kevin Hammond kh at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 12:45:16 UTC 2014

[Please forward to suitable candidates.  Thanks! Kevin.]

We have eight funded research scholarships available under the University of St Andrews Seventh Century scheme.
These are open to students from any country, and pay fees as well as maintenance.  The deadline for applications is March
31st 2014, but it's good to apply earlier.

We have an active group of about ten academic academics, postdoctoral research fellows and postgraduate students
working on a variety of topics.  We'd welcome applicants who are interested in any aspect of functional programming
and related areas, including:

Parallel Functional programming; Heterogeneous multicores (including CPU/GPU combinations); Refactoring; Patterns of computation;
Machine-Learning; Compilation; Real-time functional programming (e.g. in Hume); Semantics of Programming Languages;
Functional cloud computing;  Functional Programming and Security; Dependent Types; Effects and other extra-functional properties;
Relaxed memory consistency; Multicore programming; Formal concurrency models; Concurrency verification; Application of functional ideas to other paradigms,
including C and C++.  We work with various functional languages including Haskell, Erlang, idris, OCAML, Hume and F#.

We have excellent links with both academic and industry, and are coordinating the EU Framework 7 ParaPhrase project,
which involves 13 partners from 8 European countries: http://www.paraphrase-ict.eu

Please contact me to discuss possible project ideas.  Applications should be made through:

http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospective-pg/research-degrees

When applying, please indicate that you would like to apply for 7th Century Funding.

Best Wishes,
Kevin

--------

Kevin Hammond, Professor of Computer Science, University of St Andrews

T: +44-1334 463241   F: +44-1334-463278    W: http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~kh

In accordance with University policy on electronic mail, this email reflects the opinions of the individual concerned, may contain confidential or copyright information that should not be copied or distributed without permission, may be of a private or personal nature unless explicitly indicated otherwise, and should not under any circumstances be taken as an official statement of University policy or procedure (see http://www.st-and.ac.uk).

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532