[Haskell] Functional Programming in Bioinformatics, Birds-of-a-Feather Session at CUFP

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:49:49 CEST 2013

             Functional Programming in Bioinformatics
             Birds-of-a-Feather Session at CUFP 2013
                   September 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM
                      Boston, MA United States

Bioinformatics is a discipline applying computational methods to biological
problems. Due to advances in experimental techniques, especially in
next-generation DNA sequencing, the amount of data being generated by
biologists is exponentially increasing. The resulting data deluge promises
to accelerate fundamental advances in human health, agriculture, and basic
research. However, progress is hindered due to the lack of software tools
for managing, analyzing, visualizing, and sharing such data.

The goal of this meeting is to bring together researchers and practitioners
of functional programming, logic, type theory, and related fields who are
interested in applying their skills to biology and medicine. We also
welcome biologists who are curious about state-of-the-art software
engineering techniques. The meeting will be casual with no presentations.
Our goal is simply to meet and discuss our interests, and propose future
events and collaborations. We will meet at Connolly’s Publik House within
the conference venue, the Hilton Boston Logan Airport Hotel, on Monday
September 23rd at 6:00 PM.

Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting regardless of whether you
registered for any ICFP or CUFP events. RSVP is not required, but to help
with planning, please email “agarwal1975 at gmail.com” if you know you will
attend.

Please also join the Well-Formed-Bio mailing list [1], which we welcome
everyone to use for discussions around the topic of formal software methods
applied to biology.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/well-formed-bio
[2]
http://cufp.org/conference/sessions/2013/birds-feather-functional-programming-bioinformatic

Organizers: Ashish Agarwal, Jeff Hammerbacher