[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 280

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 04:08:32 CEST 2013

Welcome to issue 280 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of September 8 to 14, 2013.

Quotes of the Week

   * haasn: edwardk uses things in anger. shachaf uses them with
     disappointment :(

   * shachaf: Are you reading Mac Lane now? Saizan: yeah, it's not so
     bad if you skip the examples

Top Reddit Stories

   * For my 17th birthday, my best friend got me "The most obscure
programming book I could find" as a joke. I know what language I am
learning next!
     Domain: i.imgur.com, Score: 163, Comments: 67
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/0SyN5l
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/oqGBzL

   * pipes-4.0: Simpler types and API
     Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 95, Comments: 36
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/ciVnq5
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/g9oq3i

   * Hackage 2 now available for beta testing -- switchover in a few weeks
     Domain: beta.hackage.haskell.org, Score: 91, Comments: 17
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/aIhL67
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/zfprr9

   * Cartesian Closed Comic #22: Cabal 1.18
     Domain: ro-che.info, Score: 90, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/tVUUFG
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/O0BR6c

   * Parallel and Incremental CRCs by Edward Kmett
     Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 58, Comments: 7
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/YAChJl
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/WnMsbY

   * Conquering Folds by Edward Kmett
     Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 47, Comments: 42
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/reAjgu
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/kHsSye

   * Conal Elliot: From Haskell to hardware via cartesian closed categories
     Domain: conal.net, Score: 47, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/VCwp7Y
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/NO1sbs

   * FP Complete to release a personal edition of their online IDE
     Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 39, Comments: 38
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/QOMy5Y
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/XBE7zT

   * Quark : A Web Browser with a Formally Verified Kernel
     Domain: goto.ucsd.edu, Score: 36, Comments: 6
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/RDZMY0
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/rgBcki

   * My first Haskell program - FNIStash - a utility for Torchlight 2 using
threepenny for the GUI
     Domain: fluffynukeit.com, Score: 36, Comments: 19
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/cK2N8v
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/XOMTgQ

   * Conal Elliott: Overloading lambda
     Domain: conal.net, Score: 34, Comments: 4
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/fQTt1P
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/oPSQ3R

   * Cost semantics for STG in modern GHC
     Domain: blog.ezyang.com, Score: 31, Comments: 5
     On Reddit: [23] http://goo.gl/mIQQxm
     Original: [24] http://goo.gl/5Sa49T

   * 0install - Python vs. OCaml vs. Haskell
     Domain: roscidus.com, Score: 31, Comments: 23
     On Reddit: [25] http://goo.gl/htCf1x
     Original: [26] http://goo.gl/zhrVp0

   * LogicGrowsOnTrees: a parallel implementation of logic programming
using distributed tree exploration
     Domain: github.com, Score: 31, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [27] http://goo.gl/zp5lou
     Original: [28] http://goo.gl/5BgYh2

   * RSS reader made by Haskell running on mbed platform (RAM size 64kB,
using Ajhc Haskell compiler).
     Domain: youtube.com, Score: 30, Comments: 5
     On Reddit: [29] http://goo.gl/n0Gkan
     Original: [30] http://goo.gl/cwL4vP

   * Conal Elliott: Optimizing CCCs
     Domain: conal.net, Score: 30, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [31] http://goo.gl/HVv8dr
     Original: [32] http://goo.gl/MCn0sO

   * Snap (and Heist) 0.13 released
     Domain: snapframework.com, Score: 29, Comments: 7
     On Reddit: [33] http://goo.gl/zW5Sdn
     Original: [34] http://goo.gl/1wSLeJ

   * ANN: threepenny-gui-0.3 – GUI framework that uses the web browser as a
display – now with FRP built-in
     Domain: apfelmus.nfshost.com, Score: 28, Comments: 8
     On Reddit: [35] http://goo.gl/RUDrKD
     Original: [36] http://goo.gl/WZMeZN

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * In Haskell, where does the range ['a'..] stop?
     votes: 20, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [37] http://goo.gl/Oms7lr

   * Why were Haskell 98's standard classes made inferior to Haskell 1.3's?
     votes: 18, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [38] http://goo.gl/WxvdL2

   * 27 different Bool to Bool values in Haskell
     votes: 14, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [39] http://goo.gl/1PcD1g

   * How to reconstruct Haskell expression from type
     votes: 10, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [40] http://goo.gl/Qx06kz

   * Can links to anchors in haddock be labeled?
     votes: 8, answers: 0
     Read on SO: [41] http://goo.gl/5deOMM

   * How to convert between ByteString and Storable Vector?
     votes: 7, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [42] http://goo.gl/zBVVzI

   * Why is not GHC optimizing for constants?
     votes: 7, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [43] http://goo.gl/sfo64S

   * newtype around ST causes type error
     votes: 7, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [44] http://goo.gl/CwXaJp

   * GHC does not generate a binary despite no errors shown
     votes: 6, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [45] http://goo.gl/PAv1oQ

Until next time,
[46]+Daniel Santa Cruz