[Haskell] Quipper: a quantum programming language

Takayuki Muranushi muranushi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 03:29:24 CEST 2013

This library excites me! As a physics undergrad I read Nielsen & Chuang
with my friends, for me quantum computation was best clue of understanding
quantum mechanics. Allow me to make a comment, or, a tl;dr question...

Would you elaborate "Quipper is scalable" ?

2013/6/20 Alexander Green <alexander.s.green at gmail.com>

> Dear Haskellers,
>
> we are proud to announce the first public release of Quipper, an
> embedded, scalable functional programming language for quantum
> computing. The Quipper distribution is available here:
>
> http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/quipper/
>
> and includes extensive documentation, as well as seven worked examples
> of non-trivial quantum algorithms from the literature.
>
> Quipper is embedded in Haskell and makes use of many advanced
> features of the GHC Glasgow Haskell Compiler. Here are some highlights:
>
> * High-level circuit description language, including both gate-by-gate
>   descriptions and powerful higher-order operators for assembling and
>   manipulating circuits.
>
> * A monadic semantics, allowing for a mixture of procedural and
>   declarative programming styles.
>
> * Built-in facilities for automatic synthesis of reversible quantum
>   circuits, including from classical Haskell code.
>
> * Support for hierarchical circuits.
>
> * Extensible quantum data types.
>
> * Programmable circuit transformers
>
> * Support for a dynamic lifting operation to allow circuit generation
>   to depend on parameters generated at circuit execution time.
>
> * Extensive libraries of quantum functions, including: libraries for
>   quantum integer and fixed-point arithmetic; the Quantum Fourier
>   transform; an efficient Qram implementation; libraries for
>   simulation of pseudo-classical circuits, Stabilizer circuits, and
>   arbitrary circuits; libraries for exact and approximate
>   decomposition of circuits into specific gate sets.
>
> Comments are welcome!
>
> Alexander S. Green
> Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
> Neil Julien Ross
> Peter Selinger
> Benoit Valiron

Takayuki MURANUSHI
The Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University
http://www.hakubi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/02_mem/h22/muranushi.html