[Haskell] [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: posix-paths, for faster file system operations

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 09:49:56 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM, John Wiegley <johnw at fpcomplete.com> wrote:

> > It implements a large portion of System.Posix.FilePath using ByteString
> > based RawFilePaths instead of String based FilePaths
>
> Was there a reason you didn't base your work on the already existing
> system-filepath library?  Did it have deficiencies that your rendition
> corrects?

posix-paths exists in part to provide a convenient API for working with the
RawFilePath type provided by the "unix" package.  system-filepath is
predominantly String-based, which makes it incompatible with posix system
calls (unless you perform extra marshaling).  Also its FilePath type has
significant space overhead (since it's String-based), which can be an issue
if you actually need to maintain large collections of paths.

I wouldn't necessarily call these deficiencies of system-filepath, since
they provide certain advantages for many uses.  But the performance
overhead is significant.