[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: forthcoming O'Reilly book on Parallel and Concurrent Haskell

Takayuki Muranushi muranushi at gmail.com
Thu May 17 17:20:52 CEST 2012

Hi Simon,

I'm Takayuki Muranushi, a researcher in Kyoto university writing a
domain-specific parallel programming language
http://paraiso-lang.org/wiki/ in Haskell. I've always been attracted
to parallel aspects of Haskell and I definitely would like to read the
book!!

As you encouragingly ask for suggestions let me say something rude ---
at least ambitious.

One thing I'm interested in is distributed computation in Haskell.
Haskell's pureness and other aspects have made multicore programming
as easy as single-thread programming in many ways. How does this apply
to multiple computer system, that is widely used in business and
scientific computations.

The other thing I'm interested in is parallel computation in exotic
hardwares, such as GPUs and FPGAs.

These may exceed the scope of the book --- then I'm looking forward to
future conferences and development of diverse parallelism in Haskell.
It have helped me so much.

Best,

Takayuki
2012/5/17 Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>:
> I'm delighted to announce that O'Reilly have agreed to publish a book on
> Parallel and Concurrent Haskell authored by me.  The plan is to make a
> significantly revised and extended version of the Parallel and Concurrent
> Haskell tutorial from CEFP'11:
>
> http://community.haskell.org/~simonmar/bib/par-tutorial-cefp-2012_abstract.html
>
> The book will be published in both hardcopy and electronic formats, and will
> also be available online under a Creative Commons license
> (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0).  There will be some mechanism for
> people to see and comment on early drafts, but I don't know the details yet.
>
> When will it be done?  I can't say for sure, but the tentative date for
> completion is March 2013.
>
> I'm really keen for this to be a book that will be useful to people both
> learning about parallelism and concurrency in Haskell, and coding stuff for
> real-world use.  If there are topics or application areas that you'd like to
> see covered, or any other suggestions, please let me know.  All
> contributions will be acknowledged, of course!
>
> Cheers,
>        Simon

MURANUSHI Takayuki
The Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University
http://www.hakubi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/02_mem/h22/muranushi.html