[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: quickcheck-instances

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:17:04 CET 2012

Hello!

I'd like to announce the first release of the quickcheck-instances
package, which aims to consolidate commonly needed class instances for
use with QuickCheck.

These instances are appropriate when your tests don't have strong
requirements on the nature of the input data - for example, if you are
testing a network-protocol parser, the ByteString instance provided in
this package might not be what you want to use.

Other limitations:

* I do not have full coverage of the Haskell Platform - I have been
adding instances as I need them. Patches are warmly welcomed, however.
* I only have instances of the 'Arbitrary' class, however I would be
happy to accept patches for instances of CoArbitrary and other classes
that would be useful in quickcheck-based testing.

On Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/quickcheck-instances

Ordinarily I frown on orphaned instances in library packages, but the
fact that quickcheck properties should never appear in a library Cabal
package, most of the downsides of orphans are mitigated.

Thanks,
Antoine