[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 182

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu May 19 04:31:27 CEST 2011

   Welcome to issue 180 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
   the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 8 to 14,
   2011.

Announcements

   Eric Kow released the second edition of Parallel Haskell Digest
   [http://goo.gl/OXGIw].

   Don Stewart sent in a proposal from the Haskell.org committee to
   incorporate Haskell.org [http://goo.gl/X1j8i].

   Lazycat Manatee has released a new version of Manatee
   [http://goo.gl/vVTgy].

Quotes of the Week

   * Richard O'Keefe: [On iterators and generators] This being Haskell,
     I'm expecting to see Cogenerator...

   * luqui: Haskell is a DSL for writing monad tutorials.

   * mattmight: Coq is a tool for turning ordinary programs into POPL
     papers.

   * kmc: most CS courses will teach you four kinds of Java

   * geheimdienst: haskell makes hard things easy and easy things a
     strong lax monoidal endofunctor ...

   * spoolio: Haskell programmers know the cost of nothing, the type of
     everything, and might know the value of a few things later.

   * catamorphism: FP is related to FP in the same way that UML is
     related to OOP.

   * geheimdienst: * geheimdienst will from now on use a function
     carpeTiem aliased to getCurrentTime

   * edwardk: [on data-accessor] However, its choice of internal
     representation makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit

Top Reddit Stories

   * Fancy function graphs!
     Domain: pnyf.inf.elte.hu, Score: 47, Comments: 21
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ibZO1
     Original: http://goo.gl/24hQ6

   * Online SVG figures with Haskell
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 46, Comments: 11
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/jgxk4

   * Erlang-in-Haskell: an implementation of an Erlang-like
distributed computing framework for Haskell
     Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 41, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/yMMRG
     Original: http://goo.gl/eq6s3

   * Why Eager Languages Don't Have Products and Lazy Languages Don't Have Sums
     Domain: james-iry.blogspot.com, Score: 38, Comments: 35
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ngpNe
     Original: http://goo.gl/2O6yq

   * Introducing JsonGrammar
     Domain: martijn.van.steenbergen.nl, Score: 34, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/wiGI9
     Original: http://goo.gl/ns20k

   * The reasons I don't write all my code in Haskell
     Domain: codeflow.wordpress.com, Score: 33, Comments: 34
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/HMZ8c
     Original: http://goo.gl/hyuSa

   * Experimental GHC with GHCJS built in and Cabal support for JavaScript files
     Domain: article.gmane.org, Score: 30, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/8zzZT
     Original: http://goo.gl/MQMvN

   * Two fun bits of Haskell teaching news
     Domain: serpentine.com.nyud.net, Score: 28, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/JQUtF
     Original: http://goo.gl/mYz1q

   * Themes on Streams
     Domain: byorgey.wordpress.com, Score: 26, Comments: 1
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ywP1K
     Original: http://goo.gl/ywPnl

   * CmdArgs - Fighting the GHC Optimiser
     Domain: neilmitchell.blogspot.com, Score: 20, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/0WThF
     Original: http://goo.gl/CgCgz

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Safe execution of untrusted Haskell code
     votes: 19, answers: 2
     http://goo.gl/9eHuc

   * When do I use ByteString and when do I not?
     votes: 16, answers: 2
     http://goo.gl/vVQig

   * Why can I not make String an instance of a typeclass?
     votes: 14, answers: 3
     http://goo.gl/Pn8DS

   * Android application in haskell
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     http://goo.gl/UfnA1

   * What are the most important abstractions in Haskell? Monads? Applicatives?
     votes: 9, answers: 3
     http://goo.gl/RaXVQ

About the Haskell Weekly News

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
   dstcruz at gmail.com.

   Until next time,
   Daniel Santa Cruz