[Haskell] Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Wed May 5 08:08:23 EDT 2010

Hi list(s),

(Apologies for cross-posting, but likely to be of interest to both
lists)

As lack of C++ support on latest Haskell Platform prevents wxHaskell
cabal install for Windows, and may well be causing issues for others, I
present a vile hack which will get you some level of working C++
support. This has been verified to work on a Windows 7 machine.

You will need a clean MinGW 3.4.5 installation (I used the current
Windows MinGW installer to get this, but many of you probably have MinGW
lying around anyway) as a source for the files below:

Copy cc1plus.exe from a MinGW 3.4.5 install into c:\Program Files
(x86)\Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5
Copy libstdc++.a from a MinGW 3.4.5 install into c:\Program Files
(x86)\Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\lib
Copy the entire contents of include\c++ directory from a MinGW 3.4.5
install into c:\Program Files (x86)\Haskell
Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\include\c++

At this point you have a sufficient C++ environment to cabal install wx
and get a working wxHaskell installation. There are a number of files
missing from a complete MinGW C++ installation, so I don't guarantee
this as working for all C++ code.

On Windows 7, you will need to do your 'cabal install wx' in a command
window running as Administrator. 'cabal install wx --user' does not work
in a normal shell. I'll look into this later.

Regards
Jeremy

--
  Jeremy O'Donoghue