[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: barchart-0.1.1

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 06:04:21 EST 2010

Sorry to be That Guy, but:

Your use of rounded borders for the boxes is skewing the correct
perception of the data.  The rounded borders remove more area from the
smaller bars than the from the larger bars, so smaller bars will seem
even smaller in comparison.  In general, never ever try to make
diagrams "pretty" without reading Tufte [1] front to back at least
twice.

Other than that, nice work!  I especially like that you show the raw
data next to the bars.

[1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi

On 7 March 2010 17:10, Sebastian Fischer <sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> barchart is a command-line program with associated Haskell library for
> generating bar charts, for example, from CSV files. It has special support
> for creating charts from data generated by the Haskell benchmarking tools
> criterion and progression.
>
> Instead of drawing bars of different benchmarks next to each other like
> progression does, barchart draws one bar for each benchmarked implementation
> where the benchmarks are represented as blocks of the same bar. As a
> consequence, one can recognise on first sight, which implementation is the
> fastest _in total_ because the hight of each bar is the sum of run times of
> all benchmarks for an implementation. Another difference to progression is
> that barchart is (only) a post processor and you usually do not import
> barchart modules into your Haskell code.
>
> Please refer to the project website for more information:
>
>    http://sebfisch.github.com/haskell-barchart/
>
> I would not have written this program without the Diagrams library by Brent
> Yorgey and the CmdArgs package by Neil Mitchell. Thank you for your
> excellent libraries!
>
> I hope barchart is useful for some of you!
>
> Sebastian
>

> --
> Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
> (D.G.)

Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.