[Haskell] Woes on MacOS 10.6 - linking issues

Brett Giles brett.giles at ucalgary.ca
Thu Jun 10 22:53:13 EDT 2010

Hi Folks

I seem to have Gtk2HS 0.11 installed, but not quite working. Interestingly, I can run a demo, such as the hello/World.hs example, directly in ghci. However, when I try to do a ghc --make on any code containing gtk2hs I get a link error like this:

Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
ld: symbol(s) not found

I do have libiconv installed as a universal library via macports. gtk, glade etc., are also universal installed via macports.

I downloaded the OSX Haskell Platform package and am running ghc 6.12.1

Other programs seem to be having some issues as well though,  For instance, a command line program seems to compile fine, but when it runs I get the message:

$ emlqpl (<<<--- My "successfully" compiled program - batch only, no gtk items)
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libgtk-quartz-2.0.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/emlqpl
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brett Giles
Grad Student, Formal Methods, Category Theory,
University of Calgary
brett.giles at ucalgary.ca