[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 150 - February 22, 2010
jfredett at gmail.com
jfredett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 12:42:02 EST 2010
Haskell Weekly News
Issue 150 - February 22, 2010
Welcome to issue 150 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
From the very pits of Harddrive failure I return... The Haskell Weekly
News Reborn! Last week, on friday, my HWN machine suffered what can
only be appropriately named a unbelievably poorly timed hard drive
failure, hence the lack of an HWN. I trumphently return this week with
a megaedition. Tons and tons of awesome stuff happened in the last two
weeks. So I won't make you wait any longer, haskellers, your Haskell
vty-ui 0.3. Jonathan Daugherty announced a new version of vty-ui,
featuring a richer rendering engine, generalized text transformations,
and a more functional style.
darcs 2.4 release candidate 2. Reinier Lamers announced a new
release candidate for darcs 2.4.
iteratee-parsec 0.0.1. Maciej Piechotka announced the release of
iteratee-parsec, a library whih provides support for parsec parsers in
an Iteratee monad.
concurrent-extra-0.1. Roel van Dijk announced the release of
concurrent-extra, which provides a few new synchronization primitives.
wyvern, a Dragon Go Server 'client'. wagnerdm announced wyvern, a
Dragon Go Server 'client', which plays moves for you on the Dragon
atom-1.0.0. Tom Hawkins announced a new major release of the atom
Call for Copy: Monad.Reader Issue 16. Brent Yorgey announced the
call for copy for Monad.Reader issue 16.
hmatrix 0.8.3. Alberto Ruiz announced a new version of hmatrix.
First Atlanta Function Programming Users Group Meeting. David
Vollbracht announced the first Atlanta FP Group meetup.
TFP 2010 - Call for Papers and Participation. Simon Marlow
announced a call for papers and particpation in TFP 2010, the 11th
Symposium on Trends in Functional Programming.
CMCS 2010: Call for Short Submissions & Call for Participation.
Alexandra Silva announced a call for short submissions and
participation in the 10th International Workshop on Coalgebraic Methods
in Computer Science.
WGP 2010 Call for Papers. Bruno Oliveira announced a call for
papers for Workshop on Generic Programming.
ICE 2010: First call for papers. Alexandra Silva announced the
first call for papers for ICE2010, the 3rd Interation and Concurrency
Call for Papers: Haskell Symposium 2010. Jeremy.Gibbons announced a
call for papers for the 2010 Haskell Symposium.
Dungeons of Wor - a largish FRP example and a fun game, all in one!
Patai Gergely announced Dungeons of Wor, a Game written in Haskell
using the Elerea library and Functional Reactive Techniques.
The Related monad and constant values in type classes. Jonas Almstroem
Duregard talked about a common pattern which occurs when
associating data with a type (as opposed to a value).
Heterogeneous Data Structures - Nested Pairs and functional references.
Guenther Schmidt asked about different ways to implement
Haskell news from the blogosphere. Blog posts from people new
to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
* Michael Snoyman: Four HTTP Request Body Interfaces (repost).
* Brent Yorgey: Math.Combinatorics.Multiset.
* Darcs: darcs weekly news #55.
* Galois, Inc: Tech Talk: Modern Benchmarking in Haskell.
* Ketil Malde: Tools for pyrosequencing analysis.
* Arch Haskell News: Arch Haskell News: February 2010.
* Don Stewart (dons): Migrating from uvector to vector.
* GHC / OpenSPARC Project: Memory Barriers and GHC 6.12.1.
* Darcs: darcs weekly news #54.
* Gergely Patai: Behind the dungeons.
* David Amos: How to find a strong generating set.
Quotes of the Week
* fasta: And by cool, I mean 'that is not supposed to happen'.
* uncyclopedia: Calculations which are undefined are denoted by the
_|_ symbol, pronounced Bottom, which the documentation explains as
the compiler giving you the finger.
* Draconx|Laptop: mathematics is the art of finding different ways to
* medfly: Cale, #haskell wants to know all your personal preferences
so we can all copy you
* Cale: Gentoo is a massive waste of electricity.
* hobophobe: So, I can only conclude that Haskell is a memetic virus,
and monads are the eggs it lays out in innocent programming forums
to entice others to become infected.
* benmachine: unsafeCoerce is just a generalisation of id
* jmcarthur: what good is a state monad if your state is basically 'i
have no idea what the hell my state is'?
About the Haskell Weekly News
New editions are posted to the Haskell mailing list as well as to
the Haskell Sequence and Planet Haskell. RSS is also
available, and headlines appear on haskell.org.
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
information on how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
http://patch-tag.com/r/jfredett/HWN2/pullrepo HWN2 .
More information about the Haskell