[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: nntp 0.0.1

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 13:09:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 16:38 +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
> > Nntp is a library to connect to nntp (i.e. mainly USENET) servers.
> > Currently RFC977 is being implemented.
>
> You should be referring to RFC 3977, published in October 2006.
>
> Tony.

Thank you very much for responding.

I'm perfectly aware of RFC 3977. However I don't know a server which
implemented CAPABILITIES. Therefore I would no idea how to test it in
wild - and servers I have access to have relatively good cover of RFC
977.

As the subset of commands is very similar I thought about lifting the
977 into 2980, 3977, 4643... Each of this module may fallback to the
'safer' implementation in terms of older standard. I understand that
such lifting may be inconvenient for user - but nothing stops me form
adding higher level call in Network.NNTP module.

To summarise - the RFC 3977 is on TODO list. Just next to sane final API
and stability.
I'm very sorry if I've made faux pas. I'm rather new to Haskell
community. I 'grown up' in culture 'release early release often' - and
version 0.0.1 is very early stage for me. If it is wrong to post it here
now - I'm sorry - I've might misread what people responded on #haskell.

PS. While part of what I wrote might seem off-topic I also provide
response for concerns send on my e-mail.