[Haskell] memory management

Sam Martin sam.martin at geomerics.com
Thu Aug 6 05:26:03 EDT 2009

I can see how laziness works against this, and agree it's probably not suitable for most lazy code. Generational GC does sound much more appropriate.

But fair chunks of Haskell code can be known to be strict. Either from analysis of the code, or explicit instruction by the programmer. (I also have nested data parallelism in the back of my mind for some reason.)

I'd risk a bet that these areas of code are probably your 'inner loops' and hence areas a programmer wouldn't want allocation/deallocation to occur unless absolutely necessary. Isn't region inference an attractive option for these situations?

Cheers,
Sam