[Haskell] memory management

Bernie Pope florbitous at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:12:14 EDT 2009

2009/8/3 Nathan Ricci <nricci01 at eecs.tufts.edu>:
> Hello,
>
>     I'm interested in research relating to memory management in Haskell. I'm
> at the point where I don't know enough to have very specific questions, but
> I'm especially interested in garbage collection in Haskell, and any
> available statistics (such as, how long does a thunk typically live before
> its evaluated, after its evaluated?), or tools that would let me get that
> sort of information more easily. If any one could be so kind as to point me
> to relevant research papers or other documentation, it would be very much
> appreciated.
>
>          --Nathan Ricci

Hi Nathan,

Whilst the work is not about memory management directly, you might
find this paper interesting:

   Feedback Directed Implicit Parallelism
   Tim Harris and Satnam Singh
   http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/tharris/papers/2007-fdip.pdf

And maybe have a look at the work on optimistic evaluation in Haskell:

   Adaptive Evaluation of Non-Strict Programs (PhD thesis)
   http://berkeley.intel-research.net/rennals/

(there might be some analysis about the life of thunks in those references).

Cheers,
Bernie.