[Haskell] Announce: hback - dual n-back memory game (0.0.2)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 23:14:00 EDT 2008

> On 2008.05.30 19:44:32 +0200, Norbert Wojtowicz <wojtowicz.norbert at gmail.com> scribbled 0.7K characters:
> I'm pleased to publically announce a little project I've worked on.
> Based on a recent research paper [0] that claims fluid intelligence
> could be improved by training working memory, I wrote up a dual n-back
> test memory game in Haskell and gtk2hs. This is still essentially an
> alpha release: all comments are most welcome.
>
> Original post (includes gameplay instructions):
> http://pithyless.com/blog/2008/05/18/hback-haskell-n-back-memory-game/
>
> Updated version (overhaul of game with some feature updates):
> http://pithyless.com/blog/2008/05/30/hback-0_0_2/
>
> Cabal file can be found on hackage:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/hback/0.0.2/hback-0.0.2.tar.gz
>
> [0] http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0801268105v1

This looks fairly interesting, but I think there are a few improvements you could make:
* hback does not seem to work with GHC 6.8.x/split-base - I had to add some build-depends like time,random,unix,directory to build.
* hback seems to need to be run in its source directory. For example, I installed and went to try it out:
hback
hback b n
 b is the number of tests [default=20]
 n determines the starting n-back test [default=1]

(hback:24854): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file 'hback.glade'
hback: Can't find the glade file "hback.glade" in the current directory

It worked when I cded into ~/hback though. There is a nice way to handle this problem with Cabal, FWIW (I used it when packaging Nymphaea which had the same problem with glade files): <http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/2008/02/adding-data-files-using-cabal.html>.

--
gwern
Bletchley al-Askari erco AG. Bletchley DJC RG codes Operation Meta-hackers