[Haskell] on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

jur jur at cs.uu.nl
Wed Jul 2 06:59:52 EDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:37 PM, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:

> [...]
>
> Neither mailing list addresses Haskell as a tool for teaching
> functional programming as part of a liberal arts education, and
> while The Haskell Cafe is ostensibly responsible for addressing
> beginner questions, I have witnessed several instances in which new
> users who were not familiar with the academic culture of The Haskell
> Cafe have been frowned upon for either posting messages that did not
> assume enough mathematical background, or for posting messages that
> were written in a tongue-in-cheek style, and that therefore did not
> fit into the serious tone of the mailing list.
>
> (For example, a few months ago, one poster received a private e-mail
> message from another poster asking the former not to "pollute" The
> Haskell-Cafe Mailing List for assuming that screen pixel resolution
> was somehow related to the precision of an algorithm that picked
> points randomly from a square in approximating pi.  Avoiding this
> question required the knowledge that screen resolution could be
> considered independently from the precision of the algorithm itself,
> but while this point may be elementary to mathematicians and
> researchers, the poster was not familiar enough with the issue to
> grasp this immediately, and received the above-mentioned response.)
>
> This new mailing list is intended to cover both the issue of
> teaching Haskell as part of a liberal arts curriculum, and of
> answering beginner questions about Haskell from students who may not
> have a sophisticated mathematics background.  The primary audience
> of this new mailing list would be educators and students in a
> liberal arts curriculum who are interested in studying Haskell for
> studying functional programming.  Currently, the language Scheme is
> often used in this context (even though Scheme is not a true
> functional programming language), but Haskell has recently been
> gaining ground rapidly as a programming language in industry as
> well, and many students of Haskell may either not have a computer
> science background, or may not have a sophisticated mathematical
> background.  Posts from such users may tend to irritate serious
> researchers, who are impatient and hard-pressed for time to find
> valuable information to aid their research, but may be welcome
> in a more education-focused context.
>
> It would seem that creating a new mailing list, Haskell-Edu,
> focusing on using Haskell in teaching programming in a liberal arts
> context, and fielding questions from students in that context, would
> help increase the scope of Haskell users, and help spread knowledge
> about Haskell to potential future users in industry.  Teachers in a
> liberal arts curriculum could discuss teaching Haskell in a non-
> research context, and students of Haskell with a liberal arts-
> related background would be able to ask elementary questions to
> educators willing to discuss such questions, without being expected
> to have a sophisticated mathematical or computer science background.

Hi all,

I am all for a separate channel or resource for beginners in Haskell.
I can imagine that even the run-of-the-mill discussions in the
existing venues
will scare them off. It might also be a good place for educators and
students to talk about their experiences in teaching and being taught
Haskell.
E.g., what kind of assignments work, which don't.

Also it will give me a venue to bring Helium to the attention of these
beginners and their educators.
I am currently bringing the Helium compiler up to speed (but this is
not a formal announcement).
However, if you simply cannot wait, set your browser to http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/Helium
  .

cheers,