[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 97 - December 13, 2008

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 13 12:55:43 EST 2008

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20081213
Issue 97 - December 13, 2008

   Welcome to issue 97 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   Lots of neat blog posts and funny quotes this week. Don't forget to
   keep adding [2]haiku to the wiki, and don't miss Alex McLean (yaxu)'s
   [3]streaming livecoding performance tonight!

Announcements

   Spam on HaskellWiki. Ashley Yakeley [4]asked what people would like to
   do about the increasing amounts of spam on the Haskell wiki, and
   offered some suggestions.

   The Timber compiler 1.0.2. Johan Nordlander [5]announced the first
   public release of the [6]Timber compiler. Timber is a modern language
   for building event-driven systems, based around the notion of reactive
   objects. It is also a purely functional language derived from Haskell,
   although with a strict evaluation semantics. To try it out, just grab
   the [7]timberc package on Hackage.

   Retrospective on 2008?. Don Stewart [8]proposed the idea of a 2008
   retrospective. How would you choose the 10 best new libraries,
   applications, blog posts, etc. of 2008?

   a haskell_proposals subreddit. Jason Dusek [9]announced a [10]subreddit
   for Haskell library proposals. The idea is that Web 2.0 will help us to
   allocate our collective talents more efficiently when it comes to
   extensions (and perhaps clue us in when our pet project is something
   people really want).

   permutation-0.2. Patrick Perry [11]announced a [12]new version of the
   permutation library, which includes data types for storing
   permutations. It implements pure and impure types, the latter which can
   be modified in-place. The main utility of the library is converting
   between the linear representation of a permutation to a sequence of
   swaps. This allows, for instance, applying a permutation or its inverse
   to an array with O(1) memory use.

   Data.List.Split. Brent Yorgey [13]announced the creation of a wiki page
   for [14]Data.List.Split, a hypothetical module containing
   implementations of every conceivable way of splitting lists known to
   man, so we no longer have to (1) argue about the 'one true' interface
   for a 'split' function, or (2) be embarrassed when people ask why there
   isn't a split function in the standard libraries. Please add code or
   comments! At some point it will be uploaded as a new module to Hackage.

   Announcing Haskell protocol-buffers version 1.2.2. Chris Kuklewicz
   [15]announced new versions of [16]protocol-buffers,
   [17]protocol-buffers-descriptor, and [18]hprotoc.

Discussion

   A curious monad. Andrew Coppin [19]exhibited an interesting Storage
   monad, which (it turns out) is similar to ST. An enlightening
   discussion if you want to understand how ST works and the motivation
   behind it.

   Origins of '$'. George Pollard [20]asked about the origins of the $
   operator (low-precedence function application) in the standard
   libraries, leading to some interesting history and general discussion
   about notation.

Blog noise

   [21]Haskell news from the [22]blogosphere.
     * Jamie Brandon: [23]Zombified GMap. Jamie is determined to get his
       SoC generalized map library released!
     * Philip Wadler: [24]Informatics 1 - Fancy Dress and Competition.
     * >>> Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu: [25]Learning Haskell, part 2.
     * Martin Sulzmann: [26]Equality, containment and intersection among
       regular expressions via symbolic manipulation.
     * Neil Mitchell: [27]mapM, mapM_ and monadic statements.
     * Alson Kemp: [28]A HAML parser for Haskell.
     * Chris Done: [29]More Haskell blogging.
     * Twan van Laarhoven: [30]Knight in n, part 4: tensors. Part four of
       Twan's enlightening series on computing knight moves.
     * Alex McLean: [31]Saturday night stream. All the cool kids will be
       watching Alex's streaming livecoding performance TONIGHT, using
       (among other things) a tool implemented in Haskell.
     * David Sankel: [32]Synchronous Events.
     * Lennart Augustsson: [33]The OCaml code again.
     * Lennart Augustsson: [34]Abstracting on, suggested solutions.
     * Lennart Augustsson: [35]The abstraction continues.
     * Conal Elliott: [36]Functional interactive behavior.
     * Conal Elliott: [37]Trimming inputs in functional reactive
       programming.
     * Mikael Vejdemo Johansson (Syzygy-): [38]J, or how I learned to stop
       worrying and love the matrix.
     * Conal Elliott: [39]Why classic FRP does not fit interactive
       behavior.
     * Clifford Beshers: [40]Functional Programming Marketing.
     * Lennart Augustsson: [41]A somewhat failed adventure in Haskell
       abstraction.
     * >>> Joey Hess: [42]haskell and xmonad.
     * Andy Gill: [43]The Timber compiler 1.0.2.
     * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [44]Not a particularly good article,
       but....
     * >>> Chris Double: [45]Random and Binary IO using Iteratees.
     * >>> Chris Double: [46]Not a Tutorial on HAppS.
     * "FP Lunch": [47]The new GHC API.
     * Luke Palmer: [48]Compact data types.
     * Neil Mitchell: [49]F# from a Haskell perspective.
     * Real-World Haskell: [50]RWH Now In Store.
     * >>> Sebastian Fischer: [51]Constraint Functional-Logic Programming.
     * >>> fhtr: [52]Hexagons with Haskell.
     * >>> Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu: [53]Learning Haskell.
     * Bryan O'Sullivan: [54]Functional programmers on Twitter.
     * Martin Sulzmann: [55]Parallel Join Patterns with Guards and
       Propagation.
     * Martin Sulzmann: [56]Multi-set rewrite rules with guards and a
       parallel execution scheme.
     * Martin Sulzmann: [57]STM with control: Communication for retrying
       transactions.
     * Martin Sulzmann: [58]Concurrent Goal-Based Execution of Constraint
       Handling Rules.
     * >>> talkingCode: [59]Haskell, GTK and Multi-Threading.
     * >>> Gianfranco Alongi: [60]QuickCheck(ing) the code I C - source.

Quotes of the Week

     * quicksilver: Baughn: glFlush? the 80s called, they want your
       programs back?
     * gwern: the best way to optimize a program is to make it lazier or
       stricter.
     * ksf: Perl is obfuscated by design, haskell is designed by
       obfuscation.
     * conal: omg -- i can print right from emacs again. praise be to
       Linux!
     * mmorrow: [I] didn't realize what it really said until after i
       @remembered it
     * blackh: Haskell is great because of all the wonderful things you
       can't do with it.
     * JustinBogner: gitit's 46 dependencies convinced me to install
       cabal-install, and now I couldn't be happier!
     * Anonymous: I'd love to explain to you how to write hello world in
       Haskell, but first let me introduce you to basic category theory.
     * lilac: @type \o-> look at my muscles <lambdabot> forall t nice
       muscles. t -> nice -> muscles
     * ook: (:[])
     * oink: <^(oo)^>
     * mmorrow: {-# RULES "HAI; CAN HAS STDIO?" id = unsafePerformIO
       (system "killall -9 breathingMachine && xeyes &" >> return id) #-}
     * gwern: We will be welcomed as liberators! I estimate that we will
       need 50000 haskellers at most and will be able to wind up the
       occupation quickly

About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [61]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [62]the Haskell Sequence and [63]Planet Haskell. [64]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [65]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   information on [66]how to contribute. Send stories to byorgey at cis
   dot upenn dot edu. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [67]http://code.haskell.org/~byorgey/code/hwn/ .