[Haskell] Image manipulation

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Oct 29 17:15:04 EDT 2007

[iso-8859-1] Bj�rn Wikstr�m writes:

> Hi! I have lots and lots of images (jpegs) that I would like to manipulate
> and shrink (in size). They are around 5 Mb big, so I thought this would
> be a good Haskell project since it’s a lazy evaluating language.

I must say that I don't see much use of laziness here. In any language you
can read an image as incrementally as its format permits to do, but anyway
some solid chunks must be present in the memory, in order to do the
filtering, the index mapping, or whatever, in order to resize (or rotate,
or...) the image. Actually, filling the memory with thunks may degrade
the performance of an image processing tool...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk