[Haskell] Brainstorming package compatibility problem

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 07:53:04 EDT 2007

i've forwarded this message from libraries list because i think it's very
important topic for Haskell growth. please answer only to libraries at haskell.org

This is a forwarded message
From: Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com>
Duncan and I have started a wiki page to collect proposals for ways to
avoid or alleviate the pain from future package reorganisations.

It's been helpful for me to write all this down, the issues seem much
clearer.  However, I don't see an obviously best solution.  For me proposal
4.2 (see the wiki page) looks the most promising, but it doesn't provide
complete backwards compatibility, so I imagine there will be people who

Please read the page.  Fix problems, add rationale, add proposals if you
have any that are substantially different from those already there.  For
general discussion just reply to this message (replies directed to
libraries at haskell.org).

Libraries mailing list
Libraries at haskell.org

Best regards,