[Haskell] Announce: Yi 0.2.0 released

Jean-Philippe Bernardy jeanphilippe.bernardy at gmail.com
Fri May 18 07:54:13 EDT 2007

Hello folks,

I'm very pleased to announce the 0.2.0 release of the Yi editor.

Yi is a text editor written and extensible in Haskell. The goal of Yi is
to provide a flexible, powerful and correct editor core dynamically
scriptable in Haskell.

Yi is not a finished product, but "release early, release often", and
it's been way too long since last time :). Besides, Yi has interesting
aspects that deserve wider exposure.

  * Yi is an haskell interpreter. Very much like emacs is a Lisp
interpreter, this makes really easy to dynamically hack, experiment
and modify Yi. All tools and goodies written in haskell are also readily
available from the editor. This is implemented by binding to the GHC
api.

  * Frontends. Yi can use either gtk2hs or vty as frontends, so users
can choose their favourite interface.

  * "Emulation modes". The primary emulation modes for Yi are vim and
emacs. Keybindings for vi, mg and nano and other are also provided.
Other editor interfaces can be written by the user to extend Yi.

Download from Hackage:
        http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html#cat:Editor
        (please note that you need yi and either of the yi-vty or
yi-gtk backends)

More information is available on:
        http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yi

Darcs repo:
        http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/yi/

Yi homepage:
        http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/yi.html

Patches, comments, criticism welcome... as always!

CREDITS:
The following people have contributed to Yi:

Allan Clark
Alson Kemp
Andrii Zvorygin
Bastiaan Zapf
Ben Moseley
Cale Gibbard
Don Stewart
Duncan Coutts
Harald Korneliussen
Henning Guenther
Jason Dagit
Jean-Philippe Bernardy
Mario Lang
Mark Wotton
Samuel Bronson
Shae Erisson
Simon Winwood
Spencer Janssen
Stefan O'Rear
Suleiman Souhlal
Taral
Tim Newsham
Tuomo Valkonen
Vivian McPhail
Yang Zhang

(If I've forgotten you, please tell me -- there are a few patches I
could not trace back to their author)

This release also marks my taking over the maintenance of Yi. Many thanks
to Donald Bruce Stewart for creating and bringing up Yi so far.

-- Jean-Philippe Bernardy