[Haskell] -compiler-options vs {#-LANGUAGE Flags-#}

kahl at cas.mcmaster.ca kahl at cas.mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 23 19:40:00 EDT 2007

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex at alexjacobson.com> wrote:

 > The correct answer, I believe, is to require that module authors put
 > flags in the module themselves where they belong.  At very least it
 > should be considred bad style not to have them in your code and really
 > what would make more sense is for compiler writers to disable command
 > line flags that specify lanaguge-extensions.

I strongly support this.

I think the LANGUAGE pragma of GHC-6.6 is a step in the right direction.
It is unfortunate that GHC still proposes to use -fglasgow-exts
whenever it suspects use of extensions;
it would be better to propose the appropriate extension for
the LANGUAGE pragma.

(By the way, why is there no extension for GADTs?
 My impression is that there is a number of other extensions,
 each of which is sufficient individually to enable GADTs.

 Some more documentation in Language.Haskell.Extension
 would also be useful...
)

Wolfram