[Haskell] Can we do better than duplicate APIs? [was: Data.CompactString 0.3]

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Fri Mar 23 18:55:44 EDT 2007

[sorry for the somewhat longer rant, you may want to skip to the more
technical questions at the end of the post]

Twan van Laarhoven wrote:
> I would like to announce version 0.3 of my Data.CompactString library.
> Data.CompactString is a wrapper around Data.ByteString that represents a
> Unicode string. This new version supports different encodings, as can be
> seen from the data type:
>
> [...]
>
> Homepage:  http://twan.home.fmf.nl/compact-string/
> Haddock:   http://twan.home.fmf.nl/compact-string/doc/html/
> Source:    darcs get http://twan.home.fmf.nl/repos/compact-string

After taking a look at the Haddock docs, I was impressed by the amount of
repetition in the APIs. Not ony does Data.CompactString duplicate the whole
Data.ByteString interface (~100 functions, adding some more for encoding
and decoding), the whole interface is again repeated another four times,
once for each supported encoding.

Now, this is /not/ meant as a criticism of the compact-string package in
particular. To the contrary, duplicating a fat interface for almost
identical functionality is apparently state-of-the-art in Haskell library
design, viz. the celebrated Data.Bytesting, whose API is similarly
repetitive (see Data.List, Data.ByteString.Lazy, etc...), as well as
Map/IntMap/SetIntSet etc. I greatly appreciate the effort that went into
these libraries, and admire the elegance of the implementation as well as
the stunning results wrt. efficiency gains etc.. However I fear that
duplicating interfaces in this way will prove to be problematic in the long
run.

The problems I (for-)see are for maintenance and usability, both of which
are of course two sides of the same coin. For the library implementer,
maintenance will become more difficult, as ever more of such 'almost equal'
interfaces must be maintained and kept in sync. One could use code
generation or macro expansion to alleviate this, but IMO the necessity to
use extra-language pre-processors points to a weakness in the language; it
be much less complicated and more satisfying to use a language feature that
avoids the repetition instead of generating code to facilitate it. On the
other side of teh coin, usability suffers as one has to lookup the (almost)
same function in more and more different (but 'almost equal') module
interfaces, depending on whether the string in question is Char vs. Byte,
strict vs. lazy, packed vs. unpacked, encoded in X or Y or Z..., especially
since there is no guarantee that the function is /really/ spelled the same
everywhere and also really does what the user expects.(*)

I am certain that most, if not all, people involved with these new libraries
are well aware of these infelicities. Of course, type classes come to mind
as a possible solution. However, something seems to prevent developers from
using them to capture e.g. a common String or ListLike interface. Whatever
this 'something' is, I think it should be discussed and addressed, before
the number of 'almost equal' APIs becomes unmanageable for users and
maintainers.

Here are some raw ideas:

One reason why I think type classes have not (yet) been used to reduce the
amount of API repetition is that Haskell doesn't (directly) support
abstraction over type constraints nor over the number of type parameters
(polykinded types?). Often such 'almost equal' module APIs differ in
exactly these aspects, i.e. one has an additional type parameter, while yet
another one needs slightly different or additional constraints on certain
types. Oleg K. has shown that some if these limitations can be overcome w/o
changing or adding features to the language, however these tricks are not
easy to learn and apply.

Another problem is the engineering question of how much to put into the
class proper: there is a tension between keeping the class as simple as
possible (few methods, many parametric functions) for maximum usability vs.
making it large (many methods, less parametric functions) for maximum
efficiency via specialized implementations. It is often hard to decide this
question up front, i.e. before enough instances are available. (This has
been stated as a cause for defering the decision for a common interface to
list-like values or strings). Since the type of a function doesn't reveal
whether it is a normal function with a class constraint or a real class
method, I imagine a language feature that (somehow) enables me to
specialize such a function for a particular instance even if it is not a
proper class member.

Or maybe we have come to the point where Haskell's lack of a 'real' module
system, like e.g. in SML, actually starts to hurt? Can associated types
come to the rescue?

Cheers
Ben
--
(*) I know that strictly speaking a class doesn't guarantee any semantic
conformance either, but at least there is a common place to document the