[Haskell] Quicksearch vs. lazyness

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Mon Mar 19 09:35:18 EDT 2007

I left my copy of Chris Okasaki's "Functional Data Structures" at home,
but I seem to recall (vaguely) that his heap sort algorithm was best for
sorting/searching the first k elements of an orderable sequence.

If you don't have a copy of this book, you should definitely get one. It
is his dissertation, cleaned up and supplemented (on the website) with
Haskell code (the basis of the Edison library), that examines in detail
the role of laziness in data structures and algorithms on them. His
notions of Banker's credits and Physicist's credits is an
easily-teachable notion of evaluating computational complexity.

Dan