[Haskell] Re: Newbie: what are the advantages of Haskell?

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 10:26:14 EDT 2007

On 4/27/07, Taillefer, Troy (EXP) <troy.taillefer at lmco.com> wrote:
[snip]
> By the way Mike thanks you just totally cheered me up I guess I just
> needed to sit back and think about what I have learned and how valuable
> it is to me.

There had to be some reason you were still hanging around on this list.  ;-)

I think that one can make a really good case for learning Haskell on
the basis that knowing how to program in Haskell will make you a
better programmer in any language.  There's some recognition about
that regarding functional programming in business; I know Jane St.
Capital only hires programmers with FP experience and uses Ocaml on
the inside because they know that programmers who can program in these
languages produce good code.

I'm glad to hear that your experience with Haskell has made you a
better Java programmer and it cheers me up to think that there's
something inherently beneficial to learning the language per se, even
if there aren't a lot of libraries to make it as productive as other
languages _yet_.

Cheers,
Mike