[Haskell] Haskell web forum

Robert Stroud R.J.Stroud at ncl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 03:22:57 EDT 2006

On 21 Sep 2006, at 08:07, David House wrote:

> On 20/09/06, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i definitely think that to rise up Haskell popularity we need now to
>> create web forum.
>
> I happen to think this would be a good idea from a newbie's point of
> view. For one-off questions (or perhaps two-off), it's far easier to
> register on a forum and post a question than it is to:
>
> 1) Subscribe to the mailing list
> 2) Set up a mail filter
> 3) Post your question
> 4) Delete annoying cruft which isn't interesting
> 5) Finally get to the answers to your question.

Hmm - well, speaking as a newbie who signed up only yesterday to ask
a technical question, it wasn't that hard, and I got an answer to my
question before I got all the annoying cruft about web forums... :-)

Personally, I'm not convinced that there's much difference in
practice between a web-based mail archive and a web forum - there are
good and bad web forums and mail archives out there, and some forums
require you to sign up before you can post anything anyway...

Robert