[Haskell] The Monad.Reader - Call for Copy

Wouter Swierstra wss at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Tue Oct 31 07:10:21 EST 2006

			    Call for Copy
		      The Monad.Reader - Issue 6

I would like to welcome articles for the next issue of The Monad.Reader.

* The Monad.Reader *

There are a large number of conferences and journals that accept
research papers related to Haskell; unfortunately, the platform for
non-academic publications is far less developed. This is where The
Monad.Reader fits in.

I believe that there are lots of people on these mailing lists that
have plenty of ideas that might not be suitable for the the Haskell
Workshop, for instance, but are nonetheless worth writing about.
Sometimes such ideas end up as posts on a Haskell mailing list;
sometimes they get posted on personal blogs; sometimes they disappear
altogether. A lot of e-mails to these mailing lists deserve a more
lasting place. Rob Dockins's recent proof that Haskell's class system
is Turing complete is a case in point. The Monad.Reader would be the
perfect place to publish such insights.

As The Monad.Reader's editor, Shae Erisson, has been terribly busy
lately, I've decided to help out. I would like to propose the
following format:

   * Frequency: Issues should appear quarterly. The previous goal of
one issue every month was just too ambitious.

   * Format: I propose to move from wiki-publishing to LaTeX. Andres
Loeh has been kind enough to provide us with a suitable LaTeX class.
The final pdf will appear on the Haskell-wiki with links to wiki-
pages for follow-up discussions. I realize this is a controversial
point. At the moment, though, I would like to try out LaTeX and
believe that any progress regarding The Monad.Reader is good.

   * Reviews: Every article should be reviewed. I'd like to keep The
Monad.Reader as accessible to potential authors as possible, while
trying to guarantee a certain basic quality. I think that we should
strive to accept every serious submission, but subject them to a
review process and aspire to the best possible end result.

   * Content: I'd be happy if we can get approximately two longer
length articles in every issue, accompanied by a few shorter columns,
reviews, puzzles, or diversions. As far as I'm concerned, just about
anything goes as long as it is somehow related to Haskell or
functional programming in general. Tutorials on Haskell related tools
are more than welcome!

   * License: The entire magazine should be published under a
Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License. This makes it much easier
to publish, distribute, teach, and share the Reader. This license
allows anyone to use the work in any way they seem fit as long as
credit is given to the original author.

I'd be happy to discuss any of these points further on the Haskell-
cafe list.

* Submission Details *

If you've made it this far down, you must be considering submitting
something! By all means, get in touch with me if you intend to submit
something -- the sooner you let me know what you're up to, the better.

Please submit articles for the next issue by e-mail (wss at
cs.nott.ac.uk) to me before

   **January 19th, 2007** .

Articles should be written according to the guidelines available from

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/TheMonadReader

Please submit your article PDF format. After the reviews, I may ask
you to make your sources available in order to format the entire
magazine uniformly.

If you would like to submit an article, but have trouble with LaTeX
please let me know and we'll sort something out.

Looking forward to your submission,

   Wouter Swierstra