[Haskell] ASCII higher than 127

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 10:40:30 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-17 at 16:31+0200 "Andreas Marth" wrote:
> How was that with Haskell and Unicode???

I think this probably belongs on ghc-users rather than
Haskell.

Anyhow, there aren't any ASCII characters higher than 127.

> While up to ghc-6.4.2 the following function worked it now doesn't compile:
>
> isSpezGermanChar :: Char -> Bool
> isSpezGermanChar 'ä' = True
> isSpezGermanChar 'ö' = True
> isSpezGermanChar 'ü' = True
> isSpezGermanChar 'Ä' = True
> isSpezGermanChar 'Ö' = True
> isSpezGermanChar 'Ü' = True
> isSpezGermanChar 'ß' = True
> isSpezGermanChar  _  = False
>
> (For those of you who will only read garbage it are/were some letters from
> the german alphabet.)
>
> I hoped we move forward to easier internationalization.

> Any ideas what to do now? (I would like to keep the code readable and not
> use '\220' and so on.

What ought to work is to use Unicode for input. If the files
you want to process with your programme are encoded in
ISO-8859-1, you may have to do something yourself to handle
that.  If my mailer is behaving itself, this message will
have been translated into Unicode, so the table above might
work.

 Jón

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk