[Haskell] installing streams library

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sat May 20 11:58:24 EDT 2006

On Saturday 20 May 2006 06:53 am, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> On 2006-05-20 at 12:00+0200 "Sebastian Sylvan" wrote:
> > A quick sales pitch: usually you, the library user, can just type:
> >
> > ./runhaskell Setup.hs configure
> > ./runhaskell Setup.hs build
> > ./runhaskell Setup.hs install
> >
> > And it will Do The Right Thing(TM), which is nice.
>
> This is something I've never understood about the current
> fashion. Make allows one to set up rules about what depends
> on what, so why can't we just arrange it so that someone who
> wants to install the thing just hast to type
>
> ./runhaskell Setup.hs install
>
> ?  I'm aware that part of this process might require root
> privileges, and that it would be bad to do the rest of it as
> root, but there are ways around that, surely? Even if not,
> the first line ought to be unnecessary, since configure
> produces something that build depends upon.

FWIW, it's almost identical to the incantation necessary for projects based on
autotools, where it usually reads something like:

./configure
make
make install

That means Cabal should fit nicely into package management systems that are
used to dealing with autotools projects (Debian, Gentoo, bsd ports,
darwinports, etc).

>  Jón

Rob Dockins